The story so far.
In 1997, a group of locals realised there were no unpackaged wholefoods available in Cairns. After a series of fundraisers, the co-op was formed and began as a single table at Rusty’s Markets. The stall expanded over time, and moved into small shop premises before finding a lasting home at 74 Shields Street in 2007. Today new generations of customers and volunteers maintain this vision of providing Cairns with great quality, organic wholefoods which are sustainably sourced and free of packaging.
Even as we celebrate our 20th year, it's become clear that we need to innovate, change and invigorate the co-op. Areas where we were once pioneers have now become mainstream - which is fantastic - but it's time to lead in new directions. If we don't reinvent the co-op and bring in new ideas and fresh talent, its future is uncertain.
How will the funds be used?
This is the fun part. We have been brainstorming new improvements to make the co-op bigger and better. We invite you to get involved and share your ideas, too. For now, here are some of the things we're talking about:
- To upgrade our kitchen to commercial status so we can hire it to local food startups, facilitate cooking workshops, and enable in-house production of food.
- To upgrade our web & I.T. systems to enable online shopping.
- To review the structure of the co-op, including membership, discounts and pricing.
- To expand our range of local products and become more of a hub for eco-friendly and health-conscious initiatives in the region.
- Above all, to revamp and revitalise the shop so our community service can reach more people in Cairns.
How can I help?
- The Volunteer Team at Community Foods Co-op
Crowdfunding gifts generously donated by the following Cairns businesses:
1st November 2017
We launch on Tuesday 14th November at 6:30 PM! To kick it off we are hosting a dinner with Cairns Community Kitchen at the German Club Cairns - 57 Winkworth Street, Bungalow. No reservation necessary, just come along, bring your friends, and enjoy awesome vegan meals with great people. Join the conversation about how we can build a bright future for the co-op.
12/11/2017Donation + Crystal Ball voucher$50.00
11/26/2017Donation + Lunch at The Lillipad$60.00
Anonymous11/21/2017Donation + Coffee & Cake at Blackbird$25.00
Anonymous11/18/2017Donation + Juices & more at Snoogie\'s$50.00